Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Milk Made of Almonds


Just because you're lactose intolerant, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up milk.
As from my last blog post, I recently found out I'm lactose intolerant (except for carabao's milk). Adjusting to it is a bit hard especially when you start realizing that a lot, and I mean, a lot, of food have dairy in them. One thing I grieved so much over was sweets, and well, most sweets have dairy!

Thank God for dark chocolate, but aside from that I couldn't eat or drink most of what I love, in suspicion that they might have dairy in them. First thing I TRIED to avoid were everything milk-based -- MILK (obviously), ice cream, chocolates, milk tea, shakes, cheese, butter, anything with cream, and the list goes on and on.

I've been looking into protein shakes as meal replacement lately, and found a good brand which had high reviews when mixed in with soy milk and almond milk (both are lactose free). I've tried soy milk before, like Silk, but I wouldn't exactly rave about them.


They're not bad but they're not amazing either, it tastes like diluted cow's milk to me.

I stopped by Healthy Options on the way home and found the Pacific Naturals Food brand inside the store. The almond chocolate milk was so surprisingly milky good! I would have to say, it's the closest thing I can get to Chuckie right now. Haven't tried a lot but almond milk tastes very promising.


According to www.fitday.com, "soy milk and almond milk are the top two most popular dairy milk alternatives. They are highly recommended breakfast drinks for people with casein allergies, lactose intolerance, diabetes or heart diseases. There is really no say in which of them is better for you. Each is advantageous in some respects and has shortcomings in others."

"Though almond milk is higher in fat content than soy milk, it is much less starchy. Therefore in terms of total calories, almond milk is usually more advantageous for dieters... It should be noted that both soy and almond milk fat are good for you."

Best thing about it Pacific's almond milk is it's not just delicious and lactose free, it's also gluten free, low fat and organic! YAY!

1 comment:

  1. Hi.

    I am a big fan of your blog. Please keep blogging.

    Your secret admirer,
    V

    ReplyDelete