Monday, April 30, 2012

Cure for the Itch

As my sidebar goes, hi! I'm Camille and I have sensitive skin. This blog is a little something from my continuous battle with SS -- tid bits I've learned that I want to share and tid bits I have yet to discover.



I have a skin condition called chronic dermatitis aggravated by contact dermatitis, more popularly known as a type of eczema or atopic dermatitis. So what exactly is eczema/AD?

According to the National Eczema Association, it is a disease that causes itchy, inflamed skin. It typically affects the insides of the elbows, backs of the knees, and the face, but can cover most of the body. 

Eczema is a general term for any type of dermatitis or “inflammation of the skin.” Atopic dermatitis (AD) is the most severe and chronic (long-lasting) kind of eczema. Although the term eczema is often used for atopic dermatitis, there are several other skin diseases that are eczemas as well. 

A partial list of eczemas here.

As for my experience, I have lived with AD my entire life but was only properly diagnosed eight years ago. If you suspect you have Eczema, I suggest you go to a dermatologist or allergologist to be tested. Proper diagnosis is very important since it will make it easier for you to know what your skin needs.

Most people outgrow their AD, I didn't and unfortunately, doctors haven't found a cure for this skin condition yet but the good news is! THERE IS A WAY TO CONTROL IT. When I was a lot younger, I would constantly have flare-ups -- these are open weeping and/or crusted sores that develops from scratching and infection. I still do have them once in a while, but barely now compared to back then.

This blog is to share my experience of how I took back control of my skin, in hopes that one little girl out door is googling about the tiny itchy things on her arms and legs and stumbles upon my Sensitive Skinny. :)


1 comment:

  1. Wow this is an amazing resource! Looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete